Tuesday 29 October 2013

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving.  One of my favorite "holidays".  So very much to be thankful for every day of our lives, but what a blessing that our nation still sets aside a weekend solely for the purpose of reflecting on all the undeserved blessings in our lives.  A chance also to reflect on how we can serve those who are struggling to live without all these blessings we have been gifted with.  During Thanksgiving day service, the pastor encouraged us to make a list of all things we are thankful for, and then challenged us to think about how our lives would be impacted should one, two, three or more of those things be taken from us.  Imagine ~ no food, no clothing, no warmth, no family...no mercy, no grace,no salvation.  I'll tell you, it's a humbling exercise.  One that drives you to your knees in thankfulness pretty quick. 

*(As I was driving a few days later down Ron McNeil line, I was appalled at the amount of *messy* dead animals all over the side of the road.  Have you ever stopped to be thankful for the people whose job it is to clean that up?!  After that sermon, I thought to myself  ~ am I ever thankful there are people who are willing to do this for us ~ I hope they are paid handsomely!).*

One thing we love to enjoy on Thanksgiving weekend is our family.  Thanksgiving 1999 was the first year we hiked through Baxter's Bush (the Baxter family lives across from mom and dad).  It was Henry, myself and Tanner (9 months old).  Since then, every year it has gotten bigger and bigger.  It's a highlight the grandkids LOVE.  It is usually followed by dinner and a campfire (and this year, friends as well as family joined in the campfire ~ fun :) )

























This was the first year we played some dodgeball.  It was fun and I'm quite sure it'll happen at a family function again :)



Is this not the most coordinated, eloquent looking dodgeball stance you've seen?  Ha...I do love how Henry looks intent on smashing me with the ball...he shows no mercy ;)



Even a family game of dodgeball needs a team cheer, right?  



No comments:

Post a Comment