Monday 3 June 2013

$5 Dresser....

Today I started another project.  A year ago, I found this little gem of a cupboard at a yard sale.  I remember it well.  We were heading home....Henry was itching to get to his Saturday chores of grass cutting and yard work and I had groceries and laundry waiting for me.  We drove past a little yard sale around the corner from our house and I said "STOP".  Henry said "NO".  I said "Henry, do I need to explain to you again that I experience physical PAIN when I drive by a yard sale that I feel might hold an undiscovered treasure?  I can't just NOT stop.  It's like asking me NOT to breathe.  It's like asking you to NOT watch the hockey game".  We stopped.

The sticker said $15, but the time was late in the morning and they were cleaning up.  "I'll give you $5 for the dresser".   SOLD.  Henry (lovingly) stuffed in it the van.  I got in and tried not to smirk.  It was really hard ~ I may have had to bite the insides of my cheeks.  He's a good man.

It doesn't look like much now (and I forgot to take a picture with the drawers in...but trust me, they are equally as ugly)....but I love it's size and lines.  I've got high hopes for this little beauty :)





Anybody else do dumb things...like work with furniture stripper without gloves?  Yeah, it burns.  Wear gloves.

Stay tuned!!

7 comments:

  1. Haha I totally understand your pain Stacey! I have had to learn to stay home on Saturday morning's to avoid picking up all sorts of projects I just don't have time for...What furniture stripper do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea...but wouldn't it be easier to sand it? :-D looks like fun! Furniture makeovers are great!

    -jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do the same :) I've only been out a couple times this year, because I have 3 dressers and a set of filing cabinets on the go already. Not to mention a slew of home reno projects like priming & painting trim etc...I have to discipline myself to stay out of Goodwill too. I think I've got a couple of vase projects sitting somewhere too :) And maybe some wind chimes and picture frames, lol.
    As for paint/varnish stripper, I've used Minwax brand and Circa 1850 (which is what I used on this dresser). I've had good results with both. What about you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't done any stripping yet, but I purchased some ahhhmazing wood chairs (like this: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-xgDIz_cyEMI/TaiHdTUrpFI/AAAAAAAABqA/7EeYfPS5gJc/s1600/shabby+chic+nook.jpg) that are currently painted fire engine red and will hopefully soon be painted wedgewood gray (Benjamin Moore) so I need to find a good product to use. :)

      Delete
  4. Jen....I plan on sanding it down once I've got all the finishes off of it. Can you sand down that much paint and varnish? The stripper worked fantastic and within 30 seconds of application I could literally peel it off...I've got some finer "cleaning up" to do on it, which is where I use sand paper. I've never sanded something down with this many finishes on it...have you? I'd be game if it's easier!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that many layers would end up being really tough on your sander, unless you have a high quality one. My Makita is AWESOME! but you'd also have to go through tons of sandpaper...

      Delete
  5. I should probably say that I am staining this little cupboard Jen. If I was going to re paint it, I would just scuff sand and go ahead with paint. Now that most of the finishes are off though, I'm not loving the wood texture and it might end up painted after all this work :) Ah well...

    ReplyDelete