Monday 7 April 2014

Bathroom Reno Part II

Hello friends.
Good weekend?  Over here, it was good.  Very good.  Relaxing and productive all rolled together.  And the weather?  Sunday was a stunner!  Blue skies, a wee bit warmer.  We could hear birds chirping their good morning song, and walked out of church into blissful sunshine.  Lovely I tell you.

I think I'm almost ready to share our bathroom.  It's pretty much done.  I'm not doing anything else to it...I'm starting to over think, over analyze...and it's getting silly.  We're done.

DONE.

Sooooo, today I'll just share a couple of behind the scenes stuff.  The stuff that takes for.ever (especially if you're someone like me who has trouble waiting....).

First up, the vanity.  My dad is every kind of awesome.  I showed him my inspiration picture and he delivered.  The coolest part is that this was built out of scrap leftover lumber that we had already paid for, so instead of expecting a building material bill, it was "free"!  He built it, I stained it.  We're a good team, my dad and I.



I used Minwax Dark Walnut.  My favorite.  One coat of stain, three coats of poly to protect it from water.


Dad had a piece of steel welded, cut a hole through the bathroom wall (accessed from the furnace room) and that is what the majority of the weight rests on. 


Below, pictured is the steel on the furnace room side. 


Next up...the medicine cabinet.  Being that we don't have much storage, we knew we needed more than just a mirror...we needed function.  I think they're ugly but I've learned to look past it.  And truthfully, I was feeling far too lazy to try to figure anything else out.  It was too deep just hanging on the wall, sticking past our light fixtures and so we Dad cut a hole and fastened the medicine cabinet in.  I painted it, he installed it.  Like I said...we make a good team.




 This is taken from in the furnace room.  We juuuuuust had enough room without having to move water lines.  


Our sink.  Our sink was regularly priced at $149.  We bought it on sale for $89.  Then, we were in Home Depot a month or so later and we decided to check the price (because we are like that...we wander isles and check for further discounts and then go get our money back.  Anyone else?)  Lo and behold...discontinued price of $36.  London didn't have any, so we called Dad Sluys who dropped everything he was doing and high tailed it over to Home Depot because he knows my heart was racing at the thought of missing out on a good deal calmly stated that he would try to get there the next morning.  He likes to do that to me...give me little heart attacks and test my well known lack of waiting skills.

He got one.  I recovered.

We needed an 8" spread faucet.  Not very common (probably why that sink was discontinued?) and our choices were limited..at least the ones within our relatively small budget.  We set our sights on a trusty, solid, reliable and somewhat boring American Standard brand faucet.  The price was $129.99.  We waited to see if a sale would come up.  While waiting, we visited Port Huron as we regularly do and thought we'd pop into Home Depot for something...probably blinds or something like that.  While there, Henry mentioned that maybe we should check their price and see if they offered anything different.  Same faucet...clearance for $26.00.  We looked past it's plain appearance, scooped it up, paid and high fived our way out the door.


And lastly...the ceiling.  Because the plumbing for the upstairs bathroom and many other pipes, tubes and wires etc, that we need to be able to access run through this ceiling, we had to put in a drop ceiling.  Or perhaps not...I'm sure their might've been something else we could've done, but again...I didn't feel like figuring it out and a drop ceiling was the most cost effective.  I was also probably too busy counting my sink/faucet savings to care.  I just try not to look at it...problem solved!


I'm hoping to post a full reveal sometime this week ~ which should include some far more attractive pictures ;) 


No comments:

Post a Comment